Albany State University Mission
Albany State University, a historically black institution in Southwest Georgia, has been a catalyst for change in the region from its inception as the Albany Bible and Manual Training Institute to its designation as a university. Founded in 1903 to educate African American youth, the University proudly continues to fulfill its historic mission while also serving the educational needs of an increasingly diverse student population. A progressive institution, Albany State University seeks to foster the growth and development of the region, state and nation through teaching, research, creative expression and public service. Through its collaborative efforts, the University responds to the needs of all its constituents and offers educational programs and service to improve the quality of life in Southwest Georgia.
The primary mission of Albany State University is to educate students to become outstanding contributors to society. Offering Bachelor's, Master's and Education Specialist degrees and a variety of non-degree educational programs, the University emphasizes the liberal arts as the foundation for all learning by exposing students to the humanities, fine arts, social sciences and the sciences. Global learning is fostered through a broad-based curriculum, diverse University activities and the expanding use of technology.
A leader in teacher education, nursing, criminal justice, business, public administration and the sciences, Albany State provides a comprehensive educational experience with quality instruction as the hallmark of all its academic programs. The University embraces the concept of "students first" as a core institutional value. The University advocates the total development of students, especially the under served, and provides a wholesome academic environment in which students can study, learn and develop through their interaction with fellow students, faculty, staff, administrators, visiting scholars and community leaders.
Consistent with the core mission of the University System of Georgia, Albany State University exhibits the following characteristics:
- A supportive campus climate, necessary services, and leadership and development opportunities, all to educate the whole person and meet the needs of students, faculty and staff;
- Cultural, ethnic, racial, and gender diversity in the faculty, staff and student body, supported by practices and programs that embody the ideals of an open, democratic and global society.
- Technology to advance educational purposes, including instructional technology, student support services and distance education;
- Collaborative relationships with other System Institutions, state agencies, local schools and technical institutes, and business and industry, sharing physical, human, information, and other resources to expand and enhance programs and services to the citizens of Georgia.
With other state universities in the University System of Georgia, Albany State University shares:
- A commitment to excellence and responsiveness within a scope of influence defined by the needs of an area of the state, and by particularly outstanding programs or distinctive characteristics that have a magnet effect throughout the region or state;
- A commitment to a teaching/learning environment, both inside and outside the classroom, that sustains instructional excellence, serves a diverse and college-prepared student body, promotes high levels of student achievement, offers academic assistance, and provides developmental studies programs for a limited student cohort;
- A high quality general education program supporting a variety of disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and professional academic programming at the baccalaureate level, with selected Master's and Education Specialist degrees, and selected Associate degree programs based on area need and/or inter-institutional collaborations;
- A commitment to public service, continuing education, technical assistance, and economic development activities that address the needs, improve the quality of life, and raise the educational level within the University's scope of influence;
- A commitment to scholarly and creative work to enhance instructional effectiveness and to encourage faculty scholarly pursuits, and a commitment to applied research in selected areas of institutional strength and area need.
While Albany State University shares much in common with other state universities, it is dedicated to preparing leaders for under served populations and is committed to the following distinctive purposes:
- Providing quality educational experiences for under served populations in the region, state and nation;
- Promoting and preserving the historical and culturally distinctive traditions which define African American culture;
- Offering of a comprehensive array of programs in health care services, community development, human disabilities, cultural enhancement, business and economic development, international trade and entrepreneurship;
- Graduating marketable students not only through technologically advanced academic programs but also through undergraduate research, studies abroad, internships, service learning and developmental pre-professional experiences;
- Improving the quality of life of African-American males via the educational, research, intervention and service programs coordinated through the Center for the African-American Male.