- Director of Admissions Welcome
- About ASU
- Campus Visitation
- Campus Tour
- ASU Online
- International Applicants
- Financial Aid
- Net Price Calculator
- Re-Admissions Application
- Admissions Deferment
Apply for Benefits through the VA
After applying for admission to ASU, the veteran must go to www.gibill.va.gov to begin the application process through the VA.
FIRST TIME ASU APPLICANTS:
- Complete FORM 1990 if you have NEVER used your educational benefits.
- RESTARTING or CHANGING TRAINING SITES? Complete Form 22-1995
SURVIVOR and DEPENDENTS’ BENEFITS
- Complete Form 22-5490 if you have NEVER used your educational benefits.
- RESTARTING or CHANGING TRAINING SITES? Complete Form 22-5495
The following VA Benefit programs are in place at Albany State University:
- Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 30: (active duty or veteran status) must have served in the United States Armed Forces and participated in the GI Bill program. In most instances, veterans must also have been honorably discharged.
- Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 1606: (selected guard and reserves) must have completed all initial entry training (IET) and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or a Georgia National Guard Unit.
- VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31: (service-connected disabled veterans) must make application with local VA caseworker to have rehabilitation plan developed indicating a ASU degree plan.
- REAP/Chapter 1607: (reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001).
- Post 9/11 GI Bill/Chapter 33: must have active duty service on or after September 11, 2001. Benefit is based on service credits. If you elect this benefit, it is imperative that you contact Jean Reliford in the Office of Academic Services and Registrar, the ASU VA Rep. Her contact information is 229-430-4639.
- Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program/ Chapter 35 (dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased Veterans).
- Tuition Assistance - a benefit paid to eligible servicemen. To apply for benefits (Reserve, National Guard), visit www.goarmyed.com. For Marines and Coast Guard, do not use this website rather submit Form SF182 to ASU. Each service has its own eligibility criteria so contact your local Educational Officer. Contact Freda Jimmerson in ASU’s Financial Operations, ACAD 284, Freda.email@example.com or 229-430-3727.
- Work-Study Program – This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three quarter time or more. An individual working under this program may work at the school veterans office, VA Regional Office, VA medical facilities, or at approved state employment offices. If you have questions on this program call the VA’s toll free number 1-888-GIBILL1.
Specific information on each chapter can be found on the Veteran’s website: www.gibill.va.gov.