Federal College Work Study Program


Albany State University offers both Federal College Work Study (FCWS) and Student Employment to its students. If you were not offered Federal Work Study on your Award Letter and are interested in working on campus, please monitor your ASURAMS email account for messages concerning applying or contact the Human Resources department for Student Employment positions.  A student is allowed to work a maximum number of 19 hours per week, according to a policy set by the Federal Government.

The Federal College Work Study program gives students the opportunity to earn money by working part-time during the school year. The university may offer FCWS to students as part of their financia

Students will contact the campus employers and schedule an interview. This process is for both FCWS and Student Employment jobs.

Things to keep in mind:

  1. Federal Work Study is awarded on a first come, first serve basis.
  2. Student employment is non-need based
  3. Positions generally pay the same regardless of their funding source.
  4. Students must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for FCWS.
  5. Employment earnings are paid directly to the student and are not credited against the student’s bill.

 IMPORTANT: Federal College Work Study authorizations will be available for student pick-up beginning with campus enrollment during each semester’s orientation. You must be registered at least half-time and have accepted your work study award online on Banner Web or contacted the Office of Financial Aid 24 hours prior in order for your work study authorization to be available for pick up  at the Office of Financial Aid. Authorizations that are not picked up, completed and returned to the Office of Financial Aid by the last day of the semesters add/drop period (as published by the University Announcements) may be rescinded. Work study awards that are rescinded may not be reinstated and may be offered to other students.

Federal Work Study FAQ

The Federal College Work Study Grant is a need-based work program. The amount you receive is based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), your enrollment status and your remaining need after all other sources of aid are considered. If any of the above conditions change, your grant may be adjusted. In addition, you must be enrolled half-time (minimum of six credit hours) for each semester you receive FCWS. You must reapply each year to reestablish your eligibility. Funding for this program is limited, so offers are made annually on a first-come funds available basis.

How is Federal Work Study Awarded?

Federal College Work Study is awarded based on the federal calculated need of the student and the availability of funds when the student applies. No separate application is required; the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is all that is needed. Federal Work Study is offered on a yearly basis for the fall and following spring terms. Receiving Federal Work Study one year is not a guarantee that you will receive it the following year. The student must complete the FAFSA each year to be considered. Funding for this program is limited so awards are made on a first-come first-serve basis.

Why I was not offered Federal Work Study?

If a student is not awarded FCWS on his/her Aid Award Letter it is either because he/she does not meet the Federal Title IV requirements or did not complete the application process before the university allocated all its available FCWS funds. Albany State University does offer many positions to students interested in working on-campus, which are non-work study. Human Services can provide information on non-work study positions as well as assistance in other work related issues. Human Resources telephone number is (229)430-4623.

How can I get Work Study if I was not awarded?

Work study authorizations that are rescinded at the end of add/drop period will be re-offered to the student body through campus email. Instructions on how and when to apply will be included in the email.

How, when, and how much will I be paid?                 

Undergraduate and Graduate students receive semi-monthly paychecks as they work. Unlike other aid programs that are credited to the student’s bill, FCWS does not defer payment of institution charges and should not be used to reduce an outstanding balance.

Federal Work Study earnings are not exempt from taxation. You must claim Federal College Work Study earnings on your federal and state income tax. FCWS earnings are excludable from income on the FAFSA as a Worksheet C adjustment.

How do I find a position?

Check the Working Ram Job Listings

does not pay towards institution charges and cannot be used to reduce an outstanding balance. The student will be paid twice a month for their hours worked. Roman" size="3">All questions relating to job offerings, positions availability, wages and hours should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid by phone at (229)-430-4650 or email jean.bennett@asurams.edu  or ifinaid@asurams.edu for a copy of the job listings.

Download forms related to Federal Work-Study:

Supervisor’s Guide to Work Study

Quick Tips for Work Study Supervisors

Request for Transfer/Termination

Evaluation Form

Hour Limitation Notice

Human Resources